Saturday 16 July 2011

More time

Summer vacation+rain=movie night(s).

Two nights ago, Sterling surprised me by renting The Time Traveler's Wife. We'd been meaning to see it for ages but just hadn't, possibly because we'd heard mixed reviews but mostly because we hadn't really made time for movie nights.

I'm a huge Rachel McAdams fan but went in with lowered expectations, which is maybe why I actually really liked it.

For one, it got me thinking about the people I love. Time is something I definitely take for granted. When life gets busy (and by life I typically mean work/church) I find myself removing important things from my schedule. I don't have time for talking, exercising, playing and enjoying life.

This next year, no matter how busy 'life' gets, my goal is to find a good balance. My dear friend KSum has taught me a bit about this recently. It's well and good to be fully engaged in working and striving to be successful in that area of your life, but it's also important to say 'yes to the rest'. Not to say any of us should aim to burn the candle at both ends but don't turn away a night with friends because vegging in front of the TV for the first time in weeks sounds more appealing.

Speaking of TV, there's a beer commercial that actually resonated with me in recent months. It depicts Mr. Yes and Mr. No essentially. Naturally, Mr. Yes had a lot more fun. While I agree in part, I do think there's a need to balance between Mr. Yes and Mr. No (or in this case, Mrs.). The couch, TV and crappy (albeit strangely entertaining) television programming will be there when you get home. The moments with friends might not. Make memories not regrets. That's my new motto. Or at least one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment